Quick Links
Skip to main contentSkip to navigation

City of Springfield



Ajax Loading Image


Attached / Detached Garage or Yard Shed


Construction of a detached garage or yard shed requires a building permit from the City of Springfield.  To obtain a building permit, please submit the following information to City Hall:

  • Building permit application form.

  • Fixture fee application form (HVAC/Plumbing/Electrical).

  • Three complete sets of building plans, including plumbing & electrical information - plans must include square footage information for the house, garage, deck, etc.

  • Three plot plans of the property showing property lines, location of the dwelling with setbacks listed, square footage of the dwelling and impervious coverage.

  • An electronic set of plans if available.


All new construction must meet front, side, and rear yard setback requirements.  Setback requirements differ by zoning district.  Setback information is outlined in each individual zoning district as part of the Springfield Zoning Ordinance which is available on our website.  For questions pertaining to setback requirements, please contact City Hall.

If the property is located within a Sanitary Improvement District (SID), please have the developer approve the building plans and stamp or sign each copy.  If the property is part of a homeowners association, please check with the association for covenants.

The City of Springfield contracts with the Sarpy County Building Department for inspection services on garages.  The City Public Works Department inspects sheds.